Thursday, April 15, 2010

Paris Initial Thoughts


I just arrived in Paris, what an amazing city! I was here 11 years ago but remember little since my friend Gali I was travelling with spoke French and navigated for us. This time around I've already taken in so much architecture, culture, food, etc.


Here are some initial thoughts (I'll attach pictures as well):

-The French people in general have been much kinder than I anticipated.

-The Metro system (train) is so easy to navigate. You can get from one part of the city to the other so quickly!

- I'm seeing more bikes here than Chicago. They have a free bike rental program called Velio all over the city and there are many bike paths and lanes. Most of the bikes have generator lights that go on when it gets dark

-No one wears hats here, but many wear scarves

-Parisians chose to sit next to each other, both facing the street, instead of facing each other at outdoor cafes. Even on a busy street!

- Crepes are good (duh).

- I can't tell just by looks who is a native and who is a tourist.

- I've only had to pay for 1 toilet so far, it was .40 euro. When I left the attendant said "au revoir", which means "see you soon". Huh?


2 comments:

  1. I am thrilled you are blogging your trip! I am following! Have an amazing time. -Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited Paris for 5 days in 1990. After hearing so many horror stories about bad attitudes, I really wasn't sure what to expect. I made my best attempts at French, knowing it wasn't great, but trying to keep it simple. With only one exception, the local people were welcoming and helpful.

    The bakery lady down the street from our apartment was rude. After the first day, I learned that she was rude to nearly everyone, so then I didn't take it personally.

    When I asked directions, I got helpful responses. People seemed to respond to the fact that I was treating them with respect and not being one of the rude American tourists I saw in abundance. That was my eye opener about the stories of French attitudes. I made it a point NOT to be like the rude, demanding Americans, and I didn't get treated like them.

    Your trip sounds WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete